Emergency Septic BackUp
Winder GA and Surrounding Cities
Step 1: Is the sewage-spill contaminated home safe to enter?
If a building has been flooded by sewage or waste-water there may be unsafe electrical wiring, bacterial and pathogen hazards, mold hazards, even unsafe mechanical systems. First thing you need to do is Contact AFFORDABLE right away because we out Technicians are educated and trained for clean up, removal, and septic or sewer repair that is needed.
- Turn off electrical power in the area that has been flooded if there is any chance of electrical wires, extension cords, or electrical appliances or fixtures coming in contact with standing water or wet materials
- Vacate sewage-contaminated areas right away. Areas of sewage spill should not be occupied by people who are not wearing appropriate protective equipment as they are dangerous: 💡 Watch out: sewage spills contain contaminants that can cause serious illness or disease. Disease causing agents in raw sewage include bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses and can cause serious illnesses including bacterial infections, Tetanus, Hepatitis A, Leptospirosis, infections by Cryptosporidium & Giardia and gastrointestinal diseases. 💡 Watch out: Unless you are wearing appropriate safety gear, do not enter confined spaces that have been contaminated with sewage, as toxic, flammable or asphyxiating or even explosive gases including methane and hydrogen sulfide as well as airborne pathogens may be present.
Step 2: damage control for sewage backups & spills
- Stop flushing toilets
- Turn off running water that is sending water into the drain system (clothes washer, sinks etc)
If the sewage or waste-water are being spread by water from a burst plumbing supply or hot water heating pipe, turn off the water to the building and if needed for safety or to stop further you may also need to turn off the (hot water or steam) heating system.
Items that have been soaked and are not salvageable may best be placed outdoors. By removing wet and contaminated materials from the building it may be easier to inspect, repair leaks, and clean the building itself.
💡 Watch out: do not handle sewage-contaminated materials without proper personal safety protection: there are bacterial, pathogenic, respiratory and infection hazards.
Don’t touch anything and contact our office 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. 678-726-7152
Step 3: sewage backup or spill cleanup
- Act promptly. call Affordable because one call, that’s all. Affordable offers all services for home owners and business owners. Why call different companies when you can call Affordable for PLUMBING, SEPTIC, SEWER, EMGERENCY WATER DAMAGE, MOLD PREVENTION AND REMOVAL, and many different services.
💡 Watch out: The longer that sewage waters remain in a building or on its contents the greater the chance of spreading illness or disease and the greater the chance of causing a costly mold contamination problem in addition to the sewage problem. High indoor moisture caused by standing water can cause mold contamination to form on other building surfaces even if they were not directly wet by the sewage spill.
Don’t panic: while prompt action is needed as we just explained, don’t be in such a rush that you do something dangerous. Also, if you sound terrified when calling a contractor for assistance the result may be the imposition of inappropriate or costly steps.
- Call Affordable Water Damage Restoration – For other than a trivial spill on a tiled bathroom floor you may need help from a professional water damage or restoration company. At the sewage cleanup procedural details article cited just below we give further help in deciding if you need to call a professional at Affordable.
- Notify your insurance company that there has been a sewage spill in the building, Affordable will help you through the insurance claim process to ensure you receive your reimbursement.